Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Woodbridge National and Monkeys

It's been pretty busy since the Monkeys arrived last wednesday, what with all the catching up and the race at the weekend, day tripping in DC yesterday to Madame Toussards (sp), I haven't had much time to update.

So the Monkeys arrived and it's been great having them here. Being a typical bloke I never think about missing friends from home, but when they are around you realize how important they are, so it's been a good fun week. Sadly, they go home tomorrow, but I think I may kidnap little Bobbin for an extra week. She is gorgeous and full of fun and inquisitiveness. She has been as 'good as gold' and I think she might have even provoked maternal feelings in the wife too!! I think they have had a good time here, so maybe this will be an annual affair.

If anybody wants a good giggle watch Rich try and put up the baby pram/stroller. You'd have thought it was rocket science the time he took.. my wife was very amused! :)

Friday we headed to Woodbridge, VA for practice and to register for the national. The weather was good and we had a great turn out for an east coast national. Around 125 motos each day. Some heavy hitters were there in the Pro ranks which was awesome to see - JRich, Pohlkamp, Becerine, DR, Upshaw, Randy amongst others. Their first straight pull has to be seen to be believed. Upshaws jump to manual over the first doubles and around the first corner had to be seen. It was pretty sick. He then promptly manualled the last straight and went from about 5th to 2nd whilst looking over at DR in the process. The kid has skills.

Well the last few nationals I have attended my class has sucked, with almost no riders there. This weekend we ran quarters saturday, and only 1 rider short of quarters sunday. To say it was stacked would be an understatement. Anybody in the semis could have won the finals. W2 Bill Young (made the final with Marco in Canada last yr in 25-29) went out in the semis saturday, but came back for a great win on sunday, sliding under me in the first corner and pulling away. Saturday I rode out of my skin, I had no choice, every lap was a final. I won my quarter and then in the semi ballsed up and dropped from 2nd to 6th on the third straight. Thankfully I built the last straight and swooped under two guys to grab fourth and qualify with a little local knowledge. Come the final I got a good pop, but so did 7 other guys and we all hit the first corner together. I don't know how we never went down but I came out in third and managed to hold it to the line. I was absolutely stoked. I couldn't have asked for more.

Sunday, 2 moto transfer, so again it was flat out. I took 2 2nds so I qualified for the semi. We were only 1 rider short of quarters again, that would have finished me off. Come semi's I drew gate 3 and somehow got a blinder and won comfortably. Pressure was off and I had made 2 finals in a really stacked class. It was a great feeling. The final I had gate 4 next to W2 Bill Young. I got a blinder again and was leading all the way down the first straight until I hit the first corner. I tried to avoid the mud at the bottom and left a gap, Bill and Pat Parker dived in and pushed me up the berm. I came out in third and Bill was gone. I tried to hang on to Pats back wheel but to be honest I was suffering by the third straight and decided third was better than binning it. Bill and Pat put a few bikes on me, but I was so happy, I really didn't care. This was the toughest race I had done since moving here and considering I am 34 and Bill is 27ish, to pull down the first straight like I did has left me grinning like a 17yr old virgin at the Playboy Mansion!

My sponsor, Jamie from Groovemerchants.net was there. Good to ride well for him and he also made the final on sunday in his class after some time off the bike so I think he was happy. My buddy Jason tooks wins both days and Bruce was in the mix was a third and fifth I think. Good stuff for all us VA old boys...

Rich rode much better sunday after struggling a little saturday. He still has great gates and plenty of pull, and he was starting to relax and ride better. 2 3rds took him through to the 30-34 Cr final. He had it tough though, with Jayson Lindsay, Pfieffer and Ezell Johnson, national 4, 1 and 2 respectively, but he pulled a great gate and first straight and was fighting all the way with the guy in 4th, just losing out on the line. I think Rich has the racing bug back though and with some practice on his skills he can be back up there again for sure.

Check out go211.com for the videos, particularly Elite Men and Elite Masters on Sunday. Nuts.

Jog on..

No comments: