Monday, July 28, 2008

tire(d)issues

The American spelling for Tyre is Tire! So I thought I'd have a little play on words and use tired to discuss tired legs and a tyre problems!

This weekend was a double header State race at Winchester, VA track. It's a tough track, not technical, but physically demanding, long and extremely bumpy. So after blowing a tube on my road bike last week and repairing it Friday night I decide to head out for a short ride to make sure all was working. An hour later and some hill climbs I get home feeling beat. This was rather stupid considering I know how tough Winchester track is. Also, riding the road bike a day before a race does my leg speed no good at all, as I found out first moto. I enjoyed the road ride, but not the night before a race is the lesson learned here.

Thankfully the weather was on the cool side up in Winchester. Last yr it was close to 100f, this weekend it was only in the low 80's which was a nice relief to be honest from the humidity of the last few weeks. Practice was ok, although my gates were shocking, too long away from NBL gate practice I guess. I managed to bump jump out of the second straight triple which was cool - manual the first roller and then hop off the second one from my back wheel down the back side of the jump. I got it down and did it in all my races. There was only 5 of us in class, but Scott Morrison was there who is usually a little faster than me so it was going to be good fun. However, I think I left my racing shoes at home, because to be honest I couldn't get motivated to ride all day and rode pretty crap. So much so that I ended up 5th after deciding I had had enough half way down the first straight in my final and sitting down.

I made the Pro Am final however and decided to give it one final effort. I had a good couple of motos picking up a 5th, 3rd and 2nd, even holeshotting one with Matt Kelty in (although my mates said he was just rolling!! damn!!) and Leroy Moses. So I summoned an almighty effort coming out of the gate, the kid next to me slammed my bars, I went wonky and twisted my tire/tyre out of shape! Pretty much the end of my race, by the time I got myself in a straight line I was about 5 bikes behind. I caught up to 6th, but then just simply blew up down the third straight and ended up last. My legs wouldn't even pedal and I thought I was going to pass out to be honest. I picked up a new tire off Chad and headed home to the In-Laws feeling pretty pissed off and tired.

I drove the 2 hours up into PA to Ben's brother's house, who was having a family BBQ and get together. My wife was well on her way, Jessie and Aunt Kathy were already pissed and the rest of the family was following suit. I ended up designated driver seeing as I arrived late, so was allowed one warm Yeungling beer and lots of pop to keep me going. We had a great evening. We don't see so much of the whole Laurence family, but we always have a good time, and seeing we are all close in age, it's good fun.

Sunday was spent lying in bed, at Dunkin Donuts, and house hunting, well looking at least. You'd be amazed at the size of house for $270k you can get in Hanover, you'd be like royalty. It really does make me think twice about all the money we spent for ours, but then I'd be working at Walmart and Christine would be a career receptionist somewhere. It's not conducive to the $$'s for sure.

This week we are getting Gatsby, our cat adoption. C is freaking a little, but I think they will be fine, and I would rather we take the cat than put him in a home. I am looking forward to it. I think he will be fine with our two. They are pretty laid back and I don't think it will be long before they get on.

Tonight, final coat of paint on the new door frame, new tire on the bike and early night I think.

1 comment:

Northern Monkey said...

Tell you what, our rock'n'roll lifestyles will be the talk of blog-land pretty soon!! I may even go to bed after 10pm one night!!